Friday, August 07, 2026

Michigan 26 Day 10 - Dundalk to Guelph

 Cue sheets get the job done!

And all device issues are resolved. All important apps are installed on the backup phone, and my Garmin Watch and Edge device are paired and working properly!

I am so happy. This is quite a relief.

I woke up at 4 AM with an epiphany on how to solve the device configuration problem. Ask Perplexity.ai!

I fired up my Chromebook, and connected to the Internet using the broken phone via Bluetooth. And I'm making very sure the broken phone stays charged.

Perplexity explained what to do, in very clear instructions. Basically, you install the Google authenticator app on the backup phone, and authenticate it to the Chromebook, where I am logged in, authenticated, and trusted. Then the 2FA text messages go to the backup phone.

The detailed steps:

1. Create a throwaway Google account on the backup phone to get access to the app store.
2. Download the Google Authenticator app. 
3. Follow the directions on the Authenticator app to authenticate with the Chromebook (this requires you to scan a QR code on the Chromebook, and tell the Chromebook the 6 digit number on the Authenticator app.
4. Then log in to your regular Gmail Account on the backup phone, it will send the 2FA to the backup phone, and at login, it will ask you if you want to make this phone use your regular Google Fi number. Say yes, and I'M BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN.

The only thing I need is wifi, of which none is publicly available in Dundalk until the library or the family restaurant opens at 11:00. I'm anxious to have this sorted, so I want to get going at the crack of dawn and use my room at the Super 8 in Guelph, which is my end point. This gives me time to go to the phone repair shop across the street, or to the Best Buy if necessary. Guelph is a small city.

And at 5:30 AM, I hear drops of rain on the tent. Crap. I hurry out to take the broken phone off the charger so it doesn't completely die. The rain gets stronger, and continued until 9:00 AM. I hunkered down in the tent and read a book. I booked that room in Guelph because it was supposed to rain *tomorrow* morning, not today!

It was almost 10:00 before I got on the road. 

Around 1:00 I stopped for lunch at the Grand River Chop House in Grand Valley, Ontario. They have wifi, so I ordered some wings and some poutine, and nibbled away at them while I got the backup phone working. The instructions from Perplexity worked perfectly, and I left lunch with a working phone. I spent the evening in the motel installing apps, pairing devices, and sorting out my credit card issues. Citibank is a train wreck, but at least I could transfer a bunch of money into my checking account at the credit union. So I can use my debit/ATM card.

The bike ride itself today was really nice and not hard. Only 53 miles, not much climbing, not much headwinds, and much more downhill than uphill, because Dundalk is the high point. I basically followed the Grand River downstream all day. 

What I discovered is this part of Canada is basically Greater Letterkenny in real life.

Very agricultural, very rural, many small towns. Country folk. But what you have in real-life Letterkenny-land that you can't experience with the TV show is the omnipresent, pervasive smell of manure. They raise a lot of cows here.

Nice thing about the sort-of spruced up Super 8 is it's across the street from a steak house.



I'M BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN!


No comments: