Monday, August 10, 2026

Michigan 26 Day 13 - Buffalo to Springville

 I'm really enjoying Buffalo. Here's another amazing mural.


Then I had to go hang out with my friend Tim for a bit.


Jim had never heard of Tim Horton the person or Tim Horton's the donut shop until now. He had his first experience with Tim Horton's at the Tim Horton's across the street from the statue. (Of course there is a Tim Horton's across the street from the Tim Horton statue.)

Buffalo has a light rail system!


Today was a very short and pretty easy day. 34 miles and 1300 feet of climb. Jim is easing in to the bike touring. He does not like climbing, so I'm making the days with big climbs short. It was a beautiful day. Temperatures in the high 70s, sunny, little wind.

We stopped for lunch at the Boston Hotel in Boston, which was packed with locals on a Sunday afternoon. I can only imagine what this place is like during football season.



And in no time at all, we were at our Microtel Inn in Springville. Which is just outside of town, across from the Wal-Mart, the Tractor Supply, next to Lowes. There is nothing that makes me feel like I'm back in the USA, and not in a good way, like walking through the vast Wal-Mart parking lot while a creepy recording about job openings plays on loudspeakers. There were dozens of security cameras everywhere.


This is a great Microtel. It's new, cheap, and they have a guest laundry. Check out the thoughtful pannier hangers they provide!


We walked over to JD's Brew Pub on the other side of the Wal-Mart. In western New York State, a selection of local craft brews means they have multiple varieties of Gennessee. LOL.


Today I learned that there is more cool food from Buffalo than wings! Who'd'a thought! This is a "Beef on Weck" sandwich. And the beer is a Gennessee Red Kolsch.

I asked our very young waitress, who was probably lucky to graduate high school, what "Weck" is. She had no idea. But she did helpfully explain what beef is.

Perplexity.ai comes to the rescue again. "Weck" is short for "Hummelweck", which is the roll. It's a thick-crusted roll, where the top is dipped in the au jus, and then rolled in caraway seeds and coarse salt. The sandwich comes with horseradish too. It's fantastic.

Here's the Strava track for today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/19673592276

No comments: