Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Michigan 26 Day 15 - Salamanca to Port Allegheny

 Pennsylvania is really hilly. Our mission is to ride across Pennsylvania to Maryland while going up as few hills as possible.

This is the unmarked crossing of the state line with New York.


Our first day was very successful. Fifty beautiful miles, and no hills of any significance. We followed the Allegheny River the whole way. The weather was perfect, with light tailwinds.

Are we going to have breakfast at the casino? Which will cost $23? Where we will have to stand in line first and be shamed for not being "Premiere Members"? Tim to the rescue!


Lunch was at this great cafe in downtown Olean, NY.


I experienced another Buffalo culinary specialty here, the Pizza Log. This is a deep fried egg roll with pepperoni and mozzarella cheese inside, instead of egg roll stuff. You dip it in marinara sauce when you eat it. I don't see pizza logs as very inspired or interesting. They are not great. I was hoping they might be the same as western Maryland's Pepperoni Rolls, which are awesome, but pizza logs are totally different.

We are at this perfectly fine old motel in Port Allegheny (RDOQ for sure), which is very helpfully next door to a Sheetz.


A Sheetz that sells Rolling Rock! A fine beer which has been absent from Maryland for years!


I am pretty outraged that InBev, the industrial corporate mega-brewer that bought Rolling Rock 20 years ago now brews it in New Jersey, had to remove the famous 33 words from the bottle because this beer has never been anywhere near the famous glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe.

We took our Rolling Rock to this nice BYOB cafe a couple blocks over, where I had calamari and bad "Buffalo" wings. 


Port Allegheny is a nice small town for an overnight bike tour stop. It was a great day.

No comments: