Monday, July 22, 2019

RAGBRAI Day 1 - Council Bluffs to Atlantic

The heat broke the night before, and there were thunderstorms in the early morning hours. We hid in the tent until the rain let up, and we were on the road at 7:30. Max complained about this. A lot.

It rained for about half the ride, but I'll take temps in the 70s with some rain over 95 and humid any day. We got in to Atlantic around 2:00. By then the rain was pretty much done.



It was really nice to be showered and settled in.

I also availed myself of one of the charter's add-on services. I had my knee massaged where I broke my leg last year. It is much less stiff now than normal, and the massage is totally worth it.

Lunch was at Mr. Pork Chop. Max is displeased because he thinks 9:30 is too early for eating pork chops. And I made him get in the picture.

Mr. Pork Chop had a pie vendor for dessert. I was so happy to see the rhubarb, I didn't notice they also had gooseberry. There is always tomorrow.


We did our usual stop at the Medicine Man 8 miles from the end so Max could have a pickle. Max always has a pickle to fuel him for the final stretch.


This picture has so much RAGBRAI in it. There is the Medicine Man and his daughter selling pickles, cookies, and asperin; camp chairs under a tent;  bikes riding by; with windmills in the distance; across the street from the hog barn.

We went into town for dinner from the food trucks. Pizza for Max, authentic Mexican shrimp tacos for me.

All in all, it was a really great first day. We did 58 miles, plus three for our jaunt into town.

Here is the Strava track.

No comments: